Thursday, January 14, 2010

Tragedy

I'm sure you are aware of the earthquake that hit Haiti. It hits close to the Asbury Seminary campus because we have students and faculty who have family there. Some of our alumni are among the injured. This also breaks my heart because many children sponsored through Compassion International have been affected. Compassion has several child development centers in the area hit by the earthquake. They still have not received word about the centers and children.

If you would like to help with the earthquake relief, you can donate through an organization set up by Asbury student Berteau Eliassaint. You can also donate through Compassion's website. I know the good work Compassion does because I sponsor a little girl in Uganda. She writes me letters and tells me how my sponorship has bought her clothes, food, and even farm animals that her family can raise.

I would also like to mention a tragedy that occured in my hometown. A schoolmate of my sister's was shot and killed by her child's father early this week. She was only 26 years old. She had not lived an easy life, by any means, but she was always a very sweet girl. She was going back to school to be a teacher. Please keep her family and friends in your prayers. I don't want people to forget her.

No comments: